Saturday, September 3, 2011

The Good Ol' Days

What was childhood to me?

Childhood was...
Long, fast, good, bad, happy, sad, sleep overs, bed times, laughing, crying, learning, growing, evolving, changing. Childhood for me was a mess of contradictions and there's not a day that goes by when I don't wish I could relive one more day from it. Sure, there were hard times, but those hard times made me who I am today.



One thing I know for damn sure is that I miss my childhood cartoons/TV shows. Power Rangers (when I was four I was definitely the pink ranger for Halloween), Rocko's Modern Life, Hey Arnold, Pokemon, The Powerpuff Girls, Dragon Ball Z, Tales From the Crypt Keeper, GOOSEBUMPS, Pinky and the Brain...honestly I could go on forever. I also remember Beavis and Butthead seeming like the coolest show ever but I of course wasn't allowed to watch it. What in the crap is Hannah Montana? Wizards of Waverly Place? I'll take 90's shows any day of the week!!! 



One random 90's television-related memory...the nights I had karate practice, my dad and I would go out to eat at Applebee's (I always ordered the kid's spaghetti and an Oreo shake), go to practice, get ice-cream at Coldstone Creamery (I always got a mint/coffee/banana ice-cream with gummy bears as a toping), and then head home because it would be my bedtime...but he would always let me stay up late and watch Walker Texas Ranger with him. Go Chuck Norris!



Also, a ton of amazing movies came out during my childhood! Some memorable 90's movies: Titanic, Edward Scissor Hands, Bram Stroker's Dracula, Pulp Fiction, American Beauty (one of my favorite movies of all time AND won five Oscar's!), Forrest Gump, Good Will Hunting, The Shawshank Redemption, Fight Club, etc.



I also remember a lot of amazing fads from my childhood... pet rocks, push pops, hula hoops, walkmen (thank God for the iPod nowadays!), WWJD, Pollypockets, and of course the Marcerena.



Perhaps most amazingly...The Broncos won TWO, count 'em, TWO Super Bowls during my childhood! Super Bowl XXXII and XXXIII in '98 and'99. I still love them to this day though, with or without John Elway!



One last big part of my childhood I remember was how I found my passion for reading. I would devour anything I would get my hands on. I read the first Harry Potter book when I was in first grade. Some of the words were a little big but I remember sitting at my kitchen table after school eating a turkey and mayo sandwich my mom had made me and trucking through it. I know a lot of people say it, but J.K. Rowling's series definitely had a huge impact on my life!



All in all I would definitely say I had a pretty great childhood...I'm glad I grew up in the time I did and I will always hold these memories close to my heart!


xoxo Mel



No comments:

Post a Comment