Saturday, June 25, 2011

Admiring Artists

Miss Van

Throughout grade school it was common for teachers to assign essays on “Who is your idol/ role-model  and why?” But, I feel like I never really had a role-model I looked up to as a child.  Sure, I was a hardcore Britney Spears and Backstreet Boys fan, but I never strived to be them.

Though now that I am older, I feel like I have more people I feel inspired by.  Mostly artists. Many of the artists I knew of back-in-the-day on the net, who started out with by posting their art on forums, have blossomed into entrepreneurs making their love of art into a full-time career!  Such artists are Zambi, Celesse, Claire Belton, and more. 

I also look up to artists such as Junko Mizuno, Miss Van, and Fafi- girl artists who are very skilled and kick ass!  Their art never fails to disappoint, depicting women as beautiful and sexy- yet fierce.  Miss Van and Fafi started out on the streets, painting their art on public

walls in France.  Now Fafi has had clothing and make-up line deals with major companies.  Miss Van is well
Junko Mizuno

publicized and frequently has gallery shows that tons of people flock to.  Junko Mizuno, who claims she does not have much fame in Japan, is very much popular outside her home country.  Her artwork takes on many forms: comics/manga, figurines, major company collaborations such as My Little Pony, “adult products”, decals, clothing- and more.  These women turned their hobby into a full-fledged business.

I also can’t help but admire Lady Gaga.  I’ve been lucky to see Gaga perform live- this was back in 2008, when The Fame was just released.  It was a concert made up of many well-known artists.  But Gaga, who people really only knew for “Just Dance,” stood out from the other performers.  The others did their tim and hurried off stage- but not Gaga.  Gaga sang almost her entire album, dancing non-stop, and utilizing tons of props and dancers.  Not only is she dedicated, she is talented.  Singer, dancer, musician, and writer are just some of her talents.

Gaga♥
Lady Gaga is also frankly honest, and I like that. She isn’t afraid to share her past and voice her opinions.  Gaga connects with her fans.  One girl told a story about how she made a scrapbook gift for Gaga, handing it to someone in hopes of it reaching her.  Before the concert began, Gaga sent guards to go back to the girl, to ask her hair color. The fan replied, and the guard radioed the answer over.  Soon a guard returned with an infamous hair bow, made by Gaga, for the girl.  It’s no surprise that she has such a following with her kindness and talent.

1 comment:

  1. I love Gaga! She is my next idol, right after Audrey! Great post!!
    xo

    ReplyDelete