Friday, June 17, 2011

[kuhm-fert]

There are six definitions for “comfort” in the dictionary sitting on my cluttered desk.

Com·fort
            [khum-fert]
-as a verb (used with object)
1. to soothe, console, or reassure; bring cheer to.
2. to make physically comfortable.
3. Obsolete- to aid; support or encourage.

-as a noun
4. relief in affliction; consolation; solace.
5. a feeling of relief or consolation.
6. a person or thing that gives consolation.


But…what does comfort mean to me? Honestly, it takes on many, many forms. Comfort is talking to my best friend on the phone when I’m upset that I didn’t get the grade I expected on my French final. Comfort is sharing a silly inside joke over disgustingly sweet cake pops. Comfort is hugging my beautiful mother after being away from home for months. Comfort is the smell of Carmex and the taste of my dad’s sweet tea and the feel of my favorite silk dress. There is one thing that comforts me perhaps most of all…



Lately, I have found myself a hopeless romantic. I eat, sleep and breathe love. When I started dating my boyfriend, Rudy, it was long distance; as we became closer and closer I found that I could hardly bear those nights and days I couldn’t see him. A while back I spent the night with him and had forgotten my pajamas so he lent me an old t-shirt of his.


Now on nights when I’m sad and missing him, I pull on that t-shirt and he doesn't feel so darn far away. Silly, I know, but just the lingering smell of him on that worn out old shirt comforts me and keeps me going until the next time I can be encircled in his arms. 

xo Mel

4 comments:

  1. This is such a sweet post. I love it!
    xoxo
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. This whole post made me go awwwwwwwwwww~

    & it made me think of this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eb-Vfe61W6A

    ReplyDelete