Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Hoochies Pop Coochies For Gucci's and Lucci

I adore her, and it took me much longer than I anticipated deciding on how to begin explaining all the whys, so I’ll just wing it ;)

Lauryn Hill is the epitome of Soul, in my opinion of course. Her voice is deep and rich with wisdom. Before taking on a solo career Lauryn Hill was part of The Fugees; a hip hop group from the mid-90s. I was five when I was introduced to hip hop music and seven when I could recognize it. I would sit next to my aunt who was seventeen at the time while she would watch MTV; I remember hearing Fu Gee La from the Fugees. I watched as my aunt would sway and bob to the beat. I would mimic her movements in my mind and the practice them alone in the bathroom. Lauryn Hills rendition of Roberta Flack’s “Killing Me Softly” was a beat that always played in the back of my mind. However, it was not until my ninth grade year of high school that I began to truly listen to the words she was singing, soon I stopped hearing music and her lyrics turned into poetry for me. She became more like one of my favorite writers rathar than musicians. Her words accompanied by beautifully mellow melodies have served as a soundtrack to many of my life experiences. She has helped me through break ups, writers block and simple boredom. She is a beautiful person and inspires me to search within myself when writing. I model some of my writing after her and it is the most honest work I have to offer. She has many songs which drip of raw passion and I can’t stop wondering how she can experiences the same emotions as I do yet in a form I have not been able to.  For these reasons I adore her.
Much of what I feel for Lauryn Hill is emotional. My hands are shaking inches from my face as if attempting to knock the feeling out of my body but I can’t. I feel her in my spirit. Her voice is deep rather than that high pitched pop mainstream. Her words motivate thought. She is under rated and currently gone mad. The fact she has lost her mind is proof to me she has experienced life; she has a sense of wisdom I hope to one day gain. She has lived through failure and success and she has done it without the melodrama of most of people idolized by the superficial masses. Victoria Secret models and Rihanna have nothing on Lauryn Hill <3
I recommend :
Ex-Factor (for break ups)
I gotta Find Peace of Mind ( realizations and moving on)
Tell Him ( forgiveness)
The Sweetest Thing (passion)

Camii

5 comments:

  1. she is a great artist but what do you mean she lost her mind?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My older sister was in High school when she would listen to Lauren Hill. This brings back memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What i mean by she has lost her mind is that her erratic behaivior has become more consistent andthere have been mamy complaints and rumors about her mental state - Camii

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked this post and thanks for the recommendations! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sigh of relief. I wish we lived in a world where she could make more beautiful music without feeling exploited.

    ReplyDelete