Tuesday, June 14, 2011

My Greatest Comfort Is Questioning The Uncomfortable

This song is quite uplifting... For me dancing represents the act of thinking and questioning and the devil represents all the uncomfortable thoughts, all the taboo, all which we dare not interrogate... and last but not least them holding hands is our right to.

The word ‘comfort’ is defined in the Oxford Advanced Learners Dictionary as “the state of being physically relaxed and free from pain; the state of having a pleasant life, with everything that you need”. From the looks of this definition, the grandest thing that comfort has to offer is a sense of peace of mind. Just think a life with no worries, stress and constant seemingly hopeless questioning. I tried to envision myself living a life full of comfort. I gave myself everything I could ever need. I mentally accomplished everything I have ever attempted. I freed myself of struggle. Then I asked myself.

Who are you? Not the ‘you’ now with all the worries.
Who are you during comfort?
What do you think about when you are not worrying?
Do you think?
Do you have a pulse?

Life is by no means easy and creating and being able to actually participate in a happy life is even harder (I am referring to people who work so hard to try and survive that by the time they are off the clock they are too tired to even live). Still one way in which we all participate and reflect on our lives is by thinking. I believe ‘comfort’ has little to no place in the pensive world. When I think of being comfortable in my mind, I think of being in a coma… I mean what would be my greatest worry then? What type of vegetable do I want to be? (By the way, I’d be broccoli because children would confuse me for trees and I would feel honored). Which brings me to my next worry?

Peace, it is regarded as the ultimate purpose by everyone from our government to pageant queens. However, I cannot help but wonder how they have come to the conclusion of what peace actually means. They promote these platforms for something I cannot fathom. What does a world at peace look like? What will become of us and more importantly our minds once this peace is achieved? Sometimes I feel as though promises of future peace and comfort distract from the now and serve as a diversion from reality in general.
My point exactly is, have we become so comfortable and even enthralled with the idea of passive thought patterns. Why do we accept what knowledge is willing to be fed to us without thoroughly questioning it. Where is the appeal in lives free of thought provoking questions? Free of purpose. The only way I seem to lead a comfortable life is when I make sure I am asking all the uncomfortable questions. We live in a world that has already thought for us. This world has picked out our clothing, hairstyle, what car we drive and even who we find attractive. I say this because I have no idea where the idea of beauty has been derived from. Yet somehow it is instilled in me, and I notice it and I envy it and occasionally when I look in the mirror I am it.
How can any of us be true or real? We come out of the womb and are immediately targeted. Your first everything is coordinated with your gender. As you grow up everything you, you desire because you have been influenced to do so. Your religion is your parent’s religion. We are a cycle of traditional influence intertwined with updated media influence. We are given little room to develop personally which is free of scrutiny. How do you know when you are you, or you are simply then. Many including myself are appalled by this question. Insisting we know who we are. So I had to give myself a different scenario, my blank room theory.
Had I been born into a blank room; white, no corners in sight, only my own echoes and companionship…  My first obvious questions would be… Who am I? What am I? Why am I?  
Would I still be who I insist I am Today?
That ability is taken from us, we are born into chaos, and everyone wants to answer the questions for us before we even get a chance. And we are so comfortable taking their answers, for as much as we all deny it, at some point in our lives we have let someone answer for us. One thing I am afraid of being is an influence, that’s why my post is full of so many questions rather than answers, I rather be a gadfly. I rather let you experience personally how comforting questioning the uncomfortable can actually be.

Camii

4 comments:

  1. This was beautifully written and so thought-provoking. It truly was wonderful. And it's so true. Excellent post!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eloquently put Camii~

    Love these:
    "I’d be broccoli because children would confuse me for trees and I would feel honored"
    "Where is the appeal in lives free of thought provoking questions? Free of purpose?"

    And a good point, so few break the cycle and make their own path of development, preferring to take the road that has already been paved for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tiffany, Thank You So Much, mainly for quoting me, I feel all warm inside now :D

    Camii

    ReplyDelete