Saturday, June 18, 2011

Comfort-Zones

Several words come to mind when I hear the word “comfort”: my bed, “comfort foods“, soft clothing- all things.  But comfort can also be about situations or places, like stepping out of your “comfort zone.”

I am a creature of habit, I’ll admit it!  My co-worker would say this is the Cancer in me (for those who follow astrology).  My bedroom is plush- full of comfortable pillows, chairs, and blankets.  There’s nothing I love better than curling up in my chair with a good book.  I also find comfort in structure.  Working two jobs, I’m always kept busy.  In the fall, classes will be starting up again and I’ll get back into that routine.

Though I have been trying harder this year to get out of the routine rut and expand my activities.  I’ve started writing to pen pals and swapping postcards to people all over the world.  I’ve met people I hope will be friends for a lifetime.  I want to travel!  I’ve never been outside of the U.S., and I have never traveled beyond the east-coast!

Will I ever give up my literature addiction? Never! (*ahem* please post book recommendations below…) But I can make an effort to create an equal balance of comfort and adventure.

Today, something shook me out of my comfort zone.  I felt ill and called into work sick (to one of my two PT jobs).  It’s a popular accessory store that you too likely have in your local mall. The manager told me that either I come in, despite feeling quite sick, if I value my job or I’m fired (mind you I called hours before my shift, plenty of notice).  This manager has made my short employment at this store miserable.  Cursing at me while customers are in the store, acting passive aggressive, and intimidating other employees as well. In previous jobs, I have took this abuse for fear of losing a job in an unstable economy and due to my genuine desire to be a people-pleaser; I didn’t want to cause trouble.  But I surprised myself and made a call to H.R., made a report, and quit.  I decided that though I value my job, my happiness and self-esteem is worth far more. Perhaps it isn't a coincidence that my first day on this blog is the day this happened. Maybe this is a sign that bigger and better things are to come!

Love,
Tiffany♥

3 comments:

  1. Wonderful post. Although, I am very sorry that you are not feeling well and you had to quit your job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a wonderful post. And I believe that everything happens for a reason! =] Sorry to hear about your job but, I do applaud you for stepping out of your comfort zone and sticking it to the man! haha. sorry just really felt like saying "stick it to the man" Anyways, wonderful post!
    xoxo
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you♥

    Luckily I still have a job at another place. :)

    Yes, it was about time to stick it to the man haha. I feel better that I won't have to deal with the stress anymore.

    ReplyDelete