Saturday, July 2, 2011

Getting Crabby

I was born July 16, 1990. I was born in the year of the horse in the Chinese zodiac and my astrological sign is Cancer. That is my Sun sign, with an Ascendant in Libra, and a Moon in Taurus.  I go back and forth in believing in the legitimacy of astrology and to what degree. Is fate destined or do we create our own persona?

When I was a preteen up until my early teen years, my friends and I devoured material about astrology, tarot, palm-reading, and numerology. All sorts of "new-age" stuff, though these practices are far from new. We were fascinated by the idea of destiny, that your personality was calculated from birth.

The legend of Cancer goes all the way back to ancient Greece.  The jealous goddess Hera sent an enormous crab as a distraction while Hercules was battling the Hydra.  But poor Cancer was crushed under Hercules' foot. For his sacrifice, Hera immortalized his image among the stars.

The typical characteristics I have read about Cancer are: emotional, nurturing, protective, loyal, and creative.  Eerily enough, most of the traits of Cancer I do find to apply to myself. My hobbies are all creativity related, I love the color silver, and I love the nighttime. I am fiercely loyal to friends and I am the one my friends go to when they need comfort or advice.  I also find it difficult to let-go of past events.  How my Horse relates is that I have always been very independent, I hate being tied down.  Also, hard-working and motivated I can definitely see within myself.  I'm impatient, stubborn, and passionate about what I believe in.

Bits and pieces of the horse I can find within myself, but I find the description of Cancer (no matter the book or website) to be entirely true to my personality.  I have a couple coworkers that are very into astrology.  Without knowing, one pointed out "You're a Cancer, aren't you?"  To which I was taken aback "Haha, I am. How'd you guess?"  Turns out she is one too. My best friends are all signs with similar qualities. Is it a coincidence my two besties are Libras (my ascendant sign) or destiny?

Today my horoscope says that it's time to be productive and finish projects I've been meaning to get done. And I think I'll do just that!  Have a good weekend ladies, enjoy the fireworks~

♥Tiff

No comments:

Post a Comment