Sunday, July 24, 2011

"All's Well That Ends With Me"


"Me" from Beauty and the Beast on Broadway


First off, hugest apologies for not posting on Wednesday. Who has two abnormally long, slender thumbs and got jury duty? This girl.

So..."me." Such a complicated thing, if you think about it too much. There's always the archetype self-less hero who never thinks of him/herself and then the really annoying character who only thinks of themself. It really reduces the significance of "me" when people in reality can be really full of themselves. Often we can't win. Either you are really full of yourself or you are so not into yourself that you're insecure. Has anyone come across a happy medium? I honestly believe I have.

One of the big things with me, if you haven't noticed yet, is being happy with myself, and kicking anyone in the balls who tries to put down whatever makes me happy. I like to think one of my most obvious traits is that I'm really secure in my self-identification as a nerd. Being a nerd....makes me extraordinarily happy and stable. Isn't that what makes a satisfactory human being? Emphasis on stable, because I can think of a few notorious historical serial killers who probably liked themselves and the way they were but in a way that was not okay. In this way, humans can be the best "me" without pooping on anyone else's sensibilities. Happiness is infectious and if one person is happy with "me" (meaning themselves) then it'll pass on to others around them and before you know it you have a chain reaction of happy and it's a beautiful world. Right? Maybe?

And I also firmly believe that everyone deserves some "me time," you know? If we try to be like Harry Potter and constantly think about other people, then we'll at some point explode like he does in Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix and yells at his two best friends because he feels entitled to being in the loop because of what he's done to save everyone else. I know I get cranky when I don't give myself some me time. There isn't anything wrong with wanting to focus inward on what "I" want. It's a human trait and survival mechanism. I mean if we were all selfless, we'd all be going around sacrificing ourselves to save each other. That's a really counter-productive chain reaction for the human race.

So while the selfless hero is admirable and a great role model morally, humans can't survive without the "me." We need "us." It's a little uncomfortable that "It can't always be about you" has become such a hurtful phrase because that's kind of a fact of survival....

Me Snippets:
I'd like to take a moment to send my prayers to Norway where someone really unstable wreaked havoc and dimmed the world with his crazy last Friday. Also prayers to China where a bullet train derailed and killed another number of people. Prayers to the midwest-to-east coast which are suffering from major heat waves––I am lucky LA is being spared...And although I never liked or listened to her music, r.i.p. Amy Winehouse, who hopefully can get some peace now.
---
In happinews (hehe. happiness + news oh I'm so clever), I saw Captain America tonight and I actually quite enjoyed. I recommend viewage of this film. The CGI was amazing. The acting was phenomenal. Everyone was good, which is so rare. The music, superb (it was Alan Sylvestri, how could it not be). And most significant of all, it made me like Captain America. Context! Before I thought he was just a blue bird man who conked people with his blue circle shield. But he is so much more. Just...just go see it.

xo
- É

2 comments:

  1. Wow. Absolutely all of this post! You are so right! Everyone definitely needs some me time. I think it is really important for everyone's should. I also hope that I can count myself in that happy medium category!:) SUCH a great post Eli! Definite prayers for Norway! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. From your work that I've read, you can DEFINITELY count yourself as one of the happy medium people :). Welcome to the club, Tracy! :D The happy people club.

    ReplyDelete