Friday, July 29, 2011

To marry or not to marry~

Now, I don't plan on getting married any time soon. I want to focus on school and career.
But I am secretly (well, not such a secret anymore) afraid of marriage. I'm afraid I'll choose the wrong person, or get divorced. I don't want to put all my eggs in one basket. Perhaps that comes from watching the marriages in my family.

My parents were married fifteen years. Soon after they got married, they had me and my brother. They divorced soon before I turned fifteen.  My dad was very much in love with her, maybe still is, but she wasn't.  At least, not anymore. She had an affair with the guy who put an addition onto our house.  A house which my father put so much work into. This not discovered til much later, after the divorce, and she has no remorse.

Now divorce on my Dad's side of the family, all Irish Catholics, I can't think of a single person. It's just not done, and all seem to have happy marriages with lots of children (emphasis on a lot). But on my mom's side of the family it is frighteningly common. I can only think of a handful who are still married, and half of them are miserable in their marriages. I hope I don't end up like the latter.

When I get married, one day and hopefully the rest of my life, I will take it seriously. I will work hard on it.  I will be faithful, as going into the arms of another doesn't fix problems, only creates them.

2 comments: